Multiple Station Tablet Rotary PressPrint
The Rotary Tablet Press is a simple mechanical device that has several punches that rotate and compress the powder into tablet forms. The tablets are compressed into uniform size, shape and weight making it ideal as it also produces more tablets than single punch machines.
The rotary press has a turret where tooling such as dies and punches are installed. Three processes are handled during production including filling, compression and discharge.
Multiple station/rotary presses:
- The pill press machine head holds the dies, upper and lower punches where the lower punches are set in a rotary motion.
- As the head rotates, the punches moves up and down through the fixed cam track. The cam track controls the powder filling, compression as well as the ejection.
- Upper and lower turrets – parts of the machine’s head that hold the upper and lower punches
- Die table – part that holds the dies.
- Types: (i) old multiple station or rotary press and (ii) new multiple station or rotary press.
Components of Rotary Punch Tableting Machine
Basic components of the Tablet Rotary Punch Machine
- Hopper – holds the material that are to be compressed, sends the material to the die and removes the tablet after compression.
- Dies – it determines the size and shape of the tablet by allowing both the upper and lower punches to come close together.
- Lower and upper punches – used to compress the materials inside the die.
- Cam track – it guides the movement of the punch.
- Capacity regulator – it allows the repositioning of the lower punch to accommodate the required quantity.
- Ejection regulator – it allows the lower punch to be adjusted so that the highest part would be at par to the die’s surface.
- Driving wheel – helps with the movement of the upper and lower punches and hopper shoe.
Rotary Tableting machine Tooling
- The size, shape and the identification marks of the tablet are determined by the compression machine tooling.
- Dies outer diameter-0.945
- Head Diameter-1 and 1/4th inch
- Barrel diameter-1 inch
- Length-5.25 inch
- Barrel diameter-0.75 inch
- Dies outer diameter-30.16 mm
- Length-5.25 inch
- Head Diameter-1 inch
There are different types of upper and lower punches and dies used in single and multiple presses.
Different Series for Rotary Tableting Punch Machine
Single Rotary Press
- Available – “D” , “B” and “BB” tooling
- Safety interlocking for the lower and upper guard
- 2-piece turret, turret with lower punch seal
- Gravity feeding system
- Upper Roller with Reflection Adjustment System
- Control Panel With Bypass Switches
- Control Panel with Separate display for TABLET COUNT and RPM
- Fixed Hopper with slide to control power flow
- Hand Wheel Provided
- Variable speed pulley
- Cam tracks & pressure rolls made out of alloy steel for maximum wear resistance and long life. Worm is made up of Phosphor Bronze.
- Machine is totally enclosed, i.e., top half of the machine (Compression zone) with SS hood, acrylic covers in G.M.P model (reduces the noise level between compression and machine room).
- Phosphor bronze bush provided inside the turret hold
- SS Turret Guards
- Lower Punch Cam can be easily removed without dismantling the Lower Roller Assembly
The LFA HSTP (High-Speed Tablet Press) – the newest machine, high production output, excellent tablet quality, accurate tablet weight, waste reduction capacity, compliant with GMP standard. Electronic controls are separate from the main machine.
- Applications – chemical, electronic, cosmetic, food and pharmaceutical
- Machine is designed for various granular materials (i.e., Round tablets, annular, geometric shaped tablets)
- Can impress characters or symbols on both sides, customized die set
The LFA RTP 41 (41 Station Rotary Tablet Press) – machine used in food and pharmaceutical companies to produce round and irregular shaped tablets.
- Meets the GMP standard
- Pressing chamber is separate from the drive system, paint-free
- All parts are made of stainless steel, surface treated (especially parts that come in contact with the powder and tablet)
- Sealed chamber to prevent contamination
- Gear system, wearing parts, guides are fully lubricated
- Equipped with special feeding device to ensure accurate feeding especially for specialty powders
- Easy to observe and adjust thickness, pressure, feeding and speed via hand control.
- Operational indicators are located in the same area/side.
The LFA RTP 33 (33 Station Rotary Pellet Press) – fully automatic, double press type. Outside part is fully enclosed, stainless steel material for cover and inside table.
- Drive speed is adjustable
- Drives are enclosed for cleanliness and prevention of contamination
- Smooth and stable operation due to its hydraulic system
- Overload protection to prevent damage, machine automatically stops
- Turret carries 33 sets of punches and dies, 66 tablets are pressed per revolution
- Adjustable turret rotation speed, filling material depth, tablet thickness
How The Rotary Tablet Press Works
A tablet is formed when there is a combination of pressing action from 2 punches and a die.
- Place the upper and lower punches as well as the die in the rotary pill press machine.
- Attach the feed frame along with the hopper and adjust weight for weight and hardness.
- Fill the hopper with the tablet powder mix or the granulated formula.
- Start the machine. The hopper will deliver the mix to the feed frame and place it into the area where the die is.
- The feed frame will confine the mix and position it over the die track.
- Once the head revolves, the die comes under the feed frame and is filled.
- Materials are then compressed by the upper and lower punches.
Advantages of Tablet Machines
- Multiple Station
- Independent control of weight and hardness
- Lower trial and error of manual operation
- Fine tunes processing to meet all specification
- Reduce wastage
- Tablet pressure is controlled through a lever
- Filling the powder is done automatically
- Supplied without punches or dies
- Output of 9000 up to 500,000 tablets/hour
- Production efficiency, money and time saver
- Cost efficient
- Used commonly in the industrial, medical and pharmaceutical
- Can work continuously, low maintenance cost
- Safe, accurate and efficient
- Ideal for large or volume requirements
- Can press any active ingredients