What is a single station tablet press and how does it work?Print
What is a single station tablet press and how does it work? This mechanical device is used to compress powder into tablets that are uniform in size, shape and weight. The machine is used in a variety of applications such as cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, cleaning products and others.
Single Punch Tableting Machine
Tablets are first made by compressing loose formulation of medicines or foods with excipients on a press or a stamping machine. A single punch machine is often used in the pharmaceutical industry, as they are high-speed devices that can turn out thousands of tablets in a certain period. Compounding pharmacists use different variations of these machines; an example would be the single punch tablet where only one tablet is made at a time.
- Simplest of all tablet-manufacturing device, it uses a single tooling station that has an upper and lower punch and a die.
- Compression force is exerted only through the upper punch, while the lower punch stays immovable.
- The compaction of the powder material is through the pressure from the upper and lower punches. The tablet’s shape is formed through the die cavity.
- Upper and bottom punch w/ die, Single station /single punch/eccentric press
- Hopper – this part holds the granules that need to be compressed. Once the materials are compressed, it supplies the materials to the die to be shaped and then helps remove the tablet after the compression is done.
- Dies – the part that molds and shapes the compressed material to the desired form by allowing the upper and lower punches to come together to compress the loose granules/drug
- Upper and lower punches – used to compress the loose drugs inside the die cavity
- Cam track – guides the punches’ movement
- Capacity Regulator – regulates the amount of compressed material in the die by adjusting the lower punch
- Ejection regulator – regulates the lower punch so that the highest position is at par with the dies’ surface
- Driving wheel – guides the movement of the upper and lower punches and hopper shoe
Single Punch Tableting Machine Series
Single punch tablet presses are:
- Automatic Single Punch Tableting Machine (manual pill presses are also available)
- Machine designed for tablet pressing from different materials specifically for R & D and small productions such as herbals or nutraceuticals.
- Compact, lightweight, durable, operator friendly
- Designed for various granular material pressing
- Motor driven, semi-portable, bench top unit that can be adjusted and hand driven.
- One punch and die set included
- Adjustable punch pressure, fill depth and tablet thickness
- Most popular model
- Advanced machine with new technology
- Usually use for small scale production (ex: herbals, nutraceuticals)
Single Punch Machines Available from LFA
TDP 0 Benchtop Model Single Punch Tablet Press
- The TDP 0 Pill press is the smallest in our range
- Semi-portable, bench top unit
- Manually drvien
TDP 1.5 Benchtop Model Single Punch Tablet Press
- The TDP 1.5 is the first automatic in the TDP range
- Semi-portable, bench top unit
- Adjustable tablet thickness, punch pressure and fill depth
- One punch and die set included
- Heavier than the TDP 0 Benchtop Press
TDP 5 Benchtop Model Single Punch Tablet Press
- The TDP 5 tablet press is the most popular in our range.
- Produces tablets of up to 20 mm in diameter
- Heavy duty bench top
TDP 6s Benchtop Model Single Punch Tablet Press
- The TDP 6s (replaced the TDP 7) has the most pressure
- Extra heavy unit that can produce up to 24mm diameter
- Smooth operation, low level noise
- Precision filling, low consumption of materials
- Reliable, efficient
- Often use for R & D, hospitals, labs, small scale industry
Although the compressing pressure of the punches forms a tablet and its shape and sizes takes form through the die cavity, the tablet goes through inside the single punch-tableting machine and undergoes several processing stages before being ejected.
Stage 1 – the upper cam withdraws the upper punch from the die, the bottom punch is low inside the die cavity so that the fillings fall and fill the cavity.
Stage 2 – the bottom punch is then adjusted to the required weight and as it raises, excess fillings fall.
Stage 3 – the upper and lower punches both rise up and pass through the rollers to start compressing the fillings into tablets.
Stage 4 – the upper punch is then withdrawn while the lower punch pushes upwards and removes the formed tablet. The tablet is then removed from the die surface by the surface plate.
Stage 5 – the cycle is then repeated for the next batch.
The machine is adjusted depending on the type of tablet, compression and capacity required. Once the adjustments are made, the screws are then locked into place. The machine is now ready for the compression of the tablet. It is important to check the settings regularly especially when manufacturing large quantities of tablets to ensure the quality and standard of the tablet.
- Small and rational structure
- High utilization ratio operation, ease of operation
- Uses high amount of pressure to lower weight difference and maintain low noise level during production
- Continuous control over loading of materials and tablet thickness
- Each function is comparable to other imported manufacturing machines
- Use in lab or batch production
- Manual operation is possible
- 1 pair of punch die is used as fillings and thickness of the tablet is adjustable
- Can be used in compressing a variety of drugs that contain different excipients to round tablets
- Chewable tablets – mannitol, lubricants
- Effervescent tablets – sodium bicarbonate, tartaric acid and citric acids
- Compressed tablets – diluents, lubricants, disintegrants
- The lubrication of the parts of the machine would ensure and prolong the service life of the equipment.
- Before using the machine, it is recommended to put lubricants to the oil cups or oil holes and friction surfaces.
- Oil should be added regularly over time.
- The machine should be emptied first before performing lubrication.
- Add minimum to prevent any spillover that can cause contamination.
- Instructions should be read first especially if using the machine for the first time.
- The machine should only be used in one direction.
- During adjustment, fine-tuning is important. Adjusting the belt should be done through the two screws.
- When using electricity to power the machine, it is important that the upper punch is in its highest position so that it is easy for the machine to have maximum force or it would break.